Skip to main content

A Passage of Time

Hi all,

Time flies doesn't it? Seems like only yesterday when I last posted to this blog. Can't believe it was March 2015! I think I must have been asleep because I have no idea why it has taken so long to post.


These thimbles show the passage of time. All of it a lot before mine, I hasten to add. These little ladies show the changes in fashion in the United States from 1900 through to 1947. Originally part of a collection from Avon in the1980s.


The four above are from left to right, 1910, 1900, 1928 & 1927.



These four are 1923, 1938, 1942 & 1947.

The 1920s must have been a great decade for fashion in the US, with 3 examples from that era included in the collection. In fact the 20s were a time of great change and not just for clothes. It was the interim period between two world wars. People thought that with the end of the First World War, conflict was over and there was a new, vibrant, buzz for the future. It was the age of bobbed hair, the Charleston and automobiles.

I must admit it was Miss 1923 that first attracted me to this set. She's the one with the blue hat, lilac top and chunky scarf. Isn't she lovely? I can just see her sitting behind the wheel of a 1920's car, wind in her face, grinning from ear to ear as she tootles around town, scarf flapping behind her. I wouldn't mind a scarf like that. It's perishing cold outside at the moment. She looks so snug.

My second favourite is the one on the far right. Miss 1947. Such a lovely shade of purple and would you just look at that hat?  Another post-war era. Relaxed times with relaxed clothes. She looks the most laid back of all of them. Ready for a nice, peaceful stroll along the river bank on a warm sunny day.

This collection has been discontinued for some time now which is a shame. It misses the fashions of the 1950s, 60s and 70s. Although thinking about it, the 70s was all flairs and funny colour combinations... maybe missing that decade is justifiable.

Bye for now

Olly

Facebook.com/olwenwhite/
instagram.com/olwenwhitewrites/
Twitter @OlwenWhite



Comments

  1. Hi!!! It's so nice you here :)
    I love this set and I agree it's a pity it has been ended. I have it in my hall and it's so nice to look at it walking around the house :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A wonderful addition to your collection and such fun. Take care

    ReplyDelete
  3. Son muy originales estos dedales.......
    http://losdedalesdepumuky.blogspot.com/
    Saludos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very beautiful.
    Have a nice weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much & thanks for stopping by. You have a great weekend to.

      Delete
  5. Hi Olly, i hope I will wake you up since we are now in 2017! I like your blog and your beautiful thimbles and I hope to visit it again at least untill my own blog is in the air! I also collect thimbles, most of them are names of all places in the world. Bye now, Jenny from the Netherlands

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jenny - Thanks for stopping by! Hope to be able to visit your blog to :D Keep thimbling :D

      Delete
  6. They are wonderful,reallybeautiful!
    Kiss

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thimbles Silver Hallmarks

  Did you know that before the 1880’s silver thimbles did not need to be hallmarked? No? Well, although the silver used was the correct grade to be classified as sterling, the amount used per thimble was too small making the duty payable for the hallmark more than the thimble was worth. This changed in 1884 when applying for a hallmark became mandatory. Hallmarks or any other kind of marking on a thimble helps to date it. Even the little dimples can help you tell how old it is.   This thimble is hallmarked. They are a bit tricky to read sometimes as they are incredibly small and sometimes are worn, especially when the thimble has been well used like this one. I inherited this one from my mother-in-law, who probably inherited it from her mother. This hallmark gives the makers mark, CH for Charles Horner; the Lion symbol, indicating that it is sterling silver, the mark for Chester Assay office and the date letter. The date letter is for 1897. I mentioned in an earlier post that

A Thimble Trail

Hi all, Lots of places have souvenir thimbles which can be taken home as a small memento of a journey to a far away place, a visit to an historic building, a theme park, or even a popular tourist attraction.   Most of the souvenir thimbles in my collection have either been given to me by friends and relatives or purchased in charity shops or from ebay.    Rather than being a record of places that I have been they are more of a wish list - a thimble trail of places I would like to visit. One of my friends brought this back from a recent trip to Scotland. I picked the next couple up from Ebay. Both Scotland and the Lake District are places that I haven't been to yet but would like to. That isn't the only thing they have in common.  They are both a bit soggy and grey at the moment so maybe that's a trip I should save for summer months ☺. In the meantime, here are some thimbles with a nice bit of blue sky and sunshine... Bye for now Olly